In recent years, the number of people who have chosen to follow a vegetarian lifestyle has increased considerably and, with it, the variety of recipes that can be developed without having to add any type of meat or fish.
The tofu burger is the perfect dish for those vegetarians who want to eat a tasty burger without the use of meat. Lovers of the beef burgers should also try this recipe if you ever want some variety from time to time.
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 350g extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein in grains
- 240 ml vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons water (about 50ml)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (about 30g)
- 1/4 cup (about 30g) pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper.
- Place the parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in a mortar and mash them into a powder.
- Place tofu in a bowl and mix well with the spices until it becomes a paste. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes until the tofu absorb some of the flavor of the spices.
- Mix textured vegetable protein in grains and vegetable broth in a bowl that can be used in microwave and after covering it with transparent kitchen paper, put it in the microwave for 5 or 6 minutes. If you want to do this another way, you can boil the vegetable broth, add protein and cover the mixture to steep for about 10 minutes.
- Once the protein mixture and broth has cooled slightly, pour over the tofu and add the garlic, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients with your hands and separate them as hamburger. With the quantities of this recipe, have to leave about six burgers.
- Then hold the burgers in the refrigerator until ready to fry or bake for 15 minutes (get better results when using the oven which should preheat to 180 degrees, covering the burgers with some kitchen aluminum foil).