Enjoy this delicious and much healthier version of the classic Italian dish that fascinates everyone and pamper your palate.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 500 grams beef, lean
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 can (800 grams) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced very thin
- 420 grams ricotta cheese
- 450 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg.
- In a medium saucepan brown meat and season with salt. When ready drain in a colander to remove fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onion for 2 minutes or so.
- Return the meat to the pot, add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30-40 minutes, covered. Do not add water, the sauce should be thick.
- Meanwhile, seasoned zucchini with salt, to taste and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Handle the zucchini on each side, until they are cooked (for 1-2 minutes per side). Arrange on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Preheat oven to 176°C.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Beat well.
- Spread some sauce in a mold of 22x30cm and covered with a layer of zucchini. Put a little cheese over mixture and cover with mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process until you have finished all the ingredients. Top with sauce and Mozzarella cheese and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 190°C, covered. Then uncover it and bake for another 15 minutes. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.