Original and delicious side dish that will enhance the distinctive flavors of your favorite dishes.
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 4 scallions
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Rock salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups wild rice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped.
- Cut scallions into thinly sliced, separating the white part of the green.
- In a medium pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the white part of the scallions and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth (about 3 minutes), season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in wild rice and cook according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan combine the vinegar, cherries and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook until the vinegar is almost completely absorbed (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and add the rice mixture, the green part of the scallions and walnut. Stir well to combine the ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.