Strudel is a traditional sweet made from different layers of puff pastry baked and interspersed with custard or whipped cream, mainly. Today we prepare a ‘fast’ version, providing extra flavor to the filling of cream with a teaspoon of instant coffee.
Why do we say that it is a faster version? Simply because we went to the supermarket and bought puff pastry. So the only thing you have devoted time to filling and frosting of coffee that we have decorated with chocolate. Try it! It is a dessert that is perfect to surprise the house; laborious but without complications.
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
For the filling
- 5 egg yolks
- 115gm granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 360ml whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons instant coffee.
- 60gm caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 30gm melted black chocolate.
- Preheat oven to 200° C.
- Stretch the puff pastry until a square of about 30×28 cm.
- Sprinkle sugar over the pastry and move the roller surface to be impregnated into the dough.
- Divide the dough into three boxes (10 cm wide each approx.) We place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bring to the freezer 20 minutes.
- Over time we took from the freezer and put weight on the puff pastry … a grid can be used. Placing equal weight on all rectangles, we will ensure that all grow equally in the oven.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and then let cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare the filling beat the yolks with the sugar until white, about 3 minutes at high speed.
- Then add the cornstarch gradually mixing on low speed.
- Heat the milk with coffee in a saucepan over medium heat until this ready to boil but do not boil! Then, remove and let stand 5 minutes. Slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture, while beating at low speed.
- Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and put over medium heat for about 8 minutes, stirring constantly. When the cream thicken, remove the pan from the heat and pour the cream into a bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap and let cool it completely (2h). Once temple can put it in the fridge.
- To make the glaze beat the sugar and coffee to obtain a mixture with a consistency of lava. If necessary, add more sugar.
- Assemble the cake by placing one of the layers of puff pastry, part of the filling. Then we put another layer of puff pastry and filling again. By putting the filling is better to leave one centimeter on each side toward the edges without, so that the cream will not spread.
- We put the last layer of puff pastry, with the flat side up. We extend the glaze over it with a spatula.
- We filled a bottle or a plastic bag with a fine hole with melt chocolate and draw few lines over the glaze lengthwise. Finally, we take a stick and drag perpendicular to the lines and inserting the direction, to create the drawing.
- Let cool strudel 20 minutes in the refrigerator and take it out 20 minutes before serving.