The Italian meringue is easy to prepare and ideal for cakes and pastries in general. This frosting can be kept in the freezer for about 3 months without losing its original qualities. We can use it in a variety of sweets and pastry preparations as ice cream, cakes, creams, pastries, mousses, etc…
If you follow these steps and tips carefully, you will achieve the meringue goes out simply perfectly.
Ingredients to make Italian meringue
- 4 whites egg
- 1 cup sugar (250 grams)
- 1/2 cup water (125 cc), or enough to just cover the sugar.
In a saucepan, place the cup of sugar and water. Bring the fire until it forms syrup about medium or soft ball. While the syrup is cooking, in a bowl place the white eggs and beat with electric mixer until stiff peaks reach.
When the syrup is tender, pour into the bowl where the white eggs, are in the form of yarn and slowly, but without leaving to beat at any time.
Continue beating until the mixture acquires a firm and is warm or at room temperature.
Tips to make perfect meringue
- Eggs should be fresh and be at room temperature.
- When separating the whites from the yolks, there should be not a single trace of yolk in the whites.
- The more or better quality refined sugar; more delicate and less impurity will be the merengue.
- If we want to be whiter, we can add a few drops of lemon juice at the end of churning.
- If the purpose of the meringue is decorating a dessert or cake, you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (if already added all the syrup), to make it stronger and protect it from humidity.
- As the eggs usually come in different sizes, it can be shown that the sugar is not correct. So it is recommended to measure the egg white eggs with a cup or jar and then calculate the amount of sugar twice.