We bring to kitchen a classic and rich Mexican Oaxacan tamales recipe.
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 package large, washed and dried banana leaves
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 kg green tomato
- 250 grams lard
- 1 kg corn masa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Green chile to taste, cooked and liquefied with garlic and onion (thick)
- 1 kg red tomato with dry pepper to taste, boiled and liquefied with garlic and onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste.
- Put the dough in a bowl and stir in the butter. Gradually stir in chicken broth so that it is a soft dough.
- Stir in baking soda, salt to taste and baking powder and beat well.
- Cut the banana leaves into squares. Heat in a frying pan until change color (should stop being green).
- Separate the chicken in two and cover each half with a sauce. Stir a little until all ingredients are incorporated.
- On each leaf place a tablespoon of dough and one or two tablespoons of chicken and closes the leaf in rectangular form.
- Arrange the tamales in a steamer with water. Let heat on high for 4-5 hours. checking constantly that the steamer has water.