The beef bourguignon is one of the typical dishes of French cuisine, specifically in the region of Burgundy.
The beef bourguignon (beef with red wine sauce) is one of the most popular French dishes worldwide. Served with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots, beef bourguignon is a very tasty and complete dish.
For the beef
• 2 teaspoons of flour
• 1 kg of veal or beef, cut into pieces cubes
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 150 grams of bacon into very small pieces
• 1 finely chopped chives
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 50 ml of brandy
• 500 ml of red wine
• 250 ml beef broth
• 2 leaves of laurel, 2 strips of thyme and 2 strips of fresh parsley
• 25 grams butter
• 150 grams of baby onions
• 200 grams mushrooms
• A pinch of salt and ground black pepper.
For the mashed potatoes
• 1 kg of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
• 110 grams of butter
• 110 ml of whole milk.
For the glazed carrots
• 50 g butter
• 20 baby carrots, peeled
• 2 tablespoons very thin crushed white sugar and special for dessert (caster)
• 2 teaspoons of honey
• 75 ml water.
1. Pour the flour into a bowl and add the salt over and black pepper and wrap the meat in flour.
2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet and add the bacon leaving cooking for one or two minutes or until golden.
3. Add meat and fry for four to five minutes or until all sides are cooked.
4. Add the chives, onion and garlic and fry everything for four or five minutes or until tender.
5. Add brandy (flambe brandy can around with the help of a lighter or kitchen but taking into account all the safety rules and away from your face and hair of the flames) and red wine and broth meat and bring to a boil.
6. Add spices, cover and cook everything on low for two hours or until meat is tender and sauce thickens.
7. Heat butter and a little olive oil and fry the baby onions for four or five minutes or until golden.
8. Add onions and mushrooms to the meat mixture and cook for another 20 minutes. Season all to taste by adding salt and ground black pepper.
9. While preparing mashed potatoes, cubed potatoes cooking in water with a little salt. When the water has reached its boiling point, simmer the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes or until tender.
10. Once the potatoes are tender, remove the water and drain well.
11. Mash the potatoes well and add the butter and milk, stirring with a wooden paddle until smooth. Season it to taste by adding salt and ground black pepper.
12. For the glazed carrots, heat a little butter in a large skillet and add the carrots and cook for a couple of minutes.
14. Add sugar and honey and cook everything for another minute or until sugar is melted.
15. Add water and cook everything for about two or three minutes or until carrots are tender. Season all to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves the mashed potatoes and carrots in side dishes or along with the beef bourgignon.